Thursday, October 6, 2011

He was a Revolutionary, a Visionary.



Steve Jobs
1955 - 2011

On this morning with deep clouds and a muted sun, I sat with my classmates, the Psychology of Stress students, in a small theatre at RMIT. It was just before the tweets on Twitter began reporting, Apple's co-founder, chairman and recently resigned CEO, Steve Jobs, had passed. So I sat there in awe, consulting my classmates. It couldn't be real. Not yet.

I sat in disbelief until I read the official statement Apple had just released:

Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple.

I've never met Steve Jobs, nor have I ever truly yearned to be in his presence. For all I knew, he could be an apparition; a character not unlike one in a film or television series. But his image and significance on the world has made him play a more personal role in my life than I'd care to admit. Not a day goes by without my laying hands on a product of his and his company's ingenuity and creativity. His company's flair and sleek, simplistic design virtues have inspired and influenced art and modern culture, reminding us that the future wasn't somewhere far away in distance but right in front of us.

He was a man of vision, innovation and imagination. A man of such caliber to be known throughout the globe for his contributions to the computer and technology industry.

He will be missed.

My heart goes out to his family, and to all who were touched by his phenomenal gifts.

Apple has since announced that fans can send their thoughts, condolences and memories to rememberingsteve@apple.com.



@bernardsam on Twitter:





No comments:

Post a Comment