Monday, July 26, 2010

Case in Point:





CIS/CILC Commencements 2009/2010 @ CILC Campus
09:00AM - 9:20PM, 16 July 2010

Make no mistake, every year's Commencements is a thing of honour and commemoration.

But this year's was just amazing, and I mean that to the very limits of the word; the best there is.

To tell you the truth, I wasn't quite looking forward to the evening's festivities. You see, I was tasked to carry the CIS Flag during the first procession and the Book of Excellence during the second.

I wasn't receiving any prize or award tonight, and if you've been for any Commencements in this sort of situation, you'll know the evening is about to get pretty dull.

I've been for every Commencements since 2006, in almost entirely different roles for each year. From the backstage crew, to emcee, to a member of the procession, to scroll runner, I've even participated in the Damansaran Commencements.

Before I go further, I just want to say: the Book of Excellence is one hefty tome, and the tray it sits on is unnecessarily thick too.

In experience and participation, I think it's safe to say this year's tops every one before.

Basically the procedure was the Procession, the Prize Giving, Tea, the Arrival of the Books of Excellence, the Commencements (Special Achievers), a Cocktail Reception and Performances in the Auditorium.




The hall layout was simple. Imagine the confines of a long rectangular box, sliced into half down the middle. The stage is right in the middle of these two and while on one end you have the multi-purpose hall, on the other you have the coned-ish auditorium.

The beginning preparations hardly presented any highlights, so I'll skip on right ahead to the Cocktail Reception.

Now by this time, I had already implanted in everyone's head that when they listen to Justin Bieber's Baby, they think of this particular Commencements and this 13 second dance routine I cheorographed in 13 seconds. Well, at least I hope it's sunk in.

The food was your typical buffet variant. The lamb was tasty, but the fried fish should be passed.

The violinists, Andrew, Emma, Kevin and another, soon emerged from their auditorium hiding places and began improvising. Such a grand vibe it gave that Jin Hern and Gabriel took a cup, placed it in from of them and proceeded to lob money into it. They weren't the only ones in the end.

Soon, it was 7:30PM and we were invited into auditorium. Though the Year 11's and I rushed in a few minutes later due to a very extended life lesson class by Miss Michelle by the pool.

The performances by the Cheras Cempakans, CILC Cempakans and CPAC Teachers were absolutely brilliant. A wide variety from music to drama to dance, all perfectly arranged and presented. Bravo CPAC, bravo.

Going back the same way, via the Cempaka bus, I had to leave almost straightaway.

Swerving round the bend, I saw Julez walking a walk and took a detour to give her a nice warm see you soon. I wasn't sure if this was to be the last time we'd meet in a long time, but I wanted to say farewell for old time's sake.

Then suddenly, I hear my name and hey before that. I turned and was almost immediately engaged in a hug. It was Joanne Ng, a friend I wasn't expecting to see tonight. We talked for a bit, but the bus was already departing. Promising each other lunch, I ran off round the corner and into the bus' cavern.

I think I'm going to actually miss that cliché piano welcome; something I'd never thought was going to happen.



Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
"Hell, it's about time."
27.07.2010





No comments:

Post a Comment