Saturday, July 10, 2010

Damansara's IU Day '10





SAVE THE TIGERS, Cempaka Damansara's IU Day
International Understanding Day 2010

Came, saw, sat down.

The crowd hadn't flooded the hall just yet. The deco whispered simple, but gave off that sort of kindergarten vibe; the really welcoming and pleasing sort.

Not many familiar faces in the crowd. Unsurprising as most of the familiar faces were tasked as ushers, pianists, preparers or speakers.

In my row sat Gabriel, Ivan Wing (his surname's way cool, I know), Li Jin, Melanie, Kah Long and Mithrra. Ivan just got back from the UK a few days back and it was just really great to meet everyone from everywhere.

It started a little off the clock, but I figured there was more than enough time to spare until 5:00PM. Soon Aminah passed Shezmeen, the IU Day Director, the mike and things kicked off.

Next up, Brandon Liu (who seriously screams a little David Kam) went up to introduce the campaign and talk a bit about what the World Wildlife Foundation (WWF) has been doing with their efforts. He's the Young Executive External Spokesperson of the foundation?

Then the newly installed el'presidenté of the Rotarian Society took the stage.

The lights dimmed a little, and voilĂ ! Performances from Cempakans. Totally expected nothing less.

The showcases were very pleasing, but I have to point out Gao Jye's solo performance. With his guitar, he performed Hallelujah and it was breathtaking. Handsdown; awesome.

Dr. Rizal as per normal gave the closing address.




Brought a bag with me just in case I bought anything. I went with the Diesel Deep Blue to hold on to the remaining shreds of my masculinity. The bag has a pretty good construction, and it’s been great for me so far. Found it in the drawer yesterday still attached to the price tag.




But inside my bag, was also something completely new: my Moleskine Sketchbook. I haven't exactly been pouring things into it -- I must admit I still prefer A4's -- but if you refer to the sketch at the tippy top, I think I was made for on hand sketches into this baby.

Right. So the following events on the field are details neither chronologically nor alphanumerically organised, but rather locationally.

So when you enter the field a nice column of tents meet you. Right underneath them, closest to the entrance, is the T-Shirt booth. Right beside it is the coupon booth. Only the transaction of coupons is allow in this part of town.



Front-side



Flip-Side


Still underneath the tents are the foods and beverages. Super varied, you got things like pizzas, coke, orange juice and cupcakes which were awesome (they even had tigers on them)!

At the corner of the closed field you had coconut bowling. Now you use actual coconuts to whack these groups of water bottles. My best record was a spare in two hits out of the five given. Total ownage. This is also where I started a challenge with Nicholas Yap to pwn in the most number of games. I won this round.

Right beside it you had the classic Pin the Tail on the Tiger.

Next to that, the carnival-esque Throwing Balls at Standing Cans. Tyen and Daniel were in charge of this booth and I played twice. Conveniently, they place a guy of your choice right behind to hands to give you a little extra motivation to speed a ball right in the middle with all your might. The aim was spot on for some real pain.

On the other corner, you had the Human Foosball booth. They place 10 players on chairs that dominate that area and without leaving the touch of your chair, you had to score in purposely very small goals. Tried this out once and it's not as easy as it seems; very fun though.

Rolling down the east side was Erich's Human Header. Here you need 2 players. There are two ways to play this game. First way is simple enough: one person tosses a ball into a basket that's strapped to the other players back. The last way is exactly why it's called Human Header; or what I'd like to call Header Ball. One player is strapped to the basket but this time on the front. He throws the ball toward the other player who then has to "head" the ball into the basket. I played this with Karyna and we should totally sign up if this game goes into Inter-School level.

Then you've got Malayandi's Lucky Draw. Using the ticket which you'll already have, you can have a go at digging into a box for the winning paper. There are three prizes here: an iPod Shuffle, a 4GB Thumbdrive and a sweet. Only the last is won more than once. You can have a second go but you need to cough up RM5. In my first try I got a back that read: "TRY AGAIN, but you get a sweet!" Gao Jye won the Shuffle in the end; mint condish.

Lastly you had the sponge throwing booth. Choose a victim, toss a wet, grass covered sponge at them. Awesome! I got elected by Kim and before I could get the poncho on, I was pelted by 5 sponges. The girl's got aim.

At the last corner you've got a blow-up castle! Pay RM3 and you can go in and out as much as you like. This was where I spent most of time after most of the crowd left and where I drew the sketch at the top.

The super highlight stands in the middle of it all: the Sumo Tent.

This is the tent in the middle of the sketch, but I didn't end up drawing the wrestlers. By that time they were just suits slumped over each other.

Farah Alia and Sheun Wern were in charge here, but Jude would occasionally pop on by to give his props as announcer and host.

Protocol: Stand, Bow, Engage, Body Slam.

Dr. Rizal had a go with the guest, Brandon Liu. There were some really epic battle scenes but I think the one I'll remember the most would be the match I participated in.




The match with Najiha "Carrot" Zahiera.






I also got to meet loads of friends who weren't on the job but just supervising the various booths and the overall performance. Some were just there to have some good fun.

Kaylyn, Karin, Audrey, Shi Fen, Gao Jye and Judah!

There were Interactors from schools all around KL, like the Victorian Institute and Damansara's sister campus in Cheras.

It was a wholly amazing event but I think if given a little more time it would've been more amazing. In the short time for preparations, they really went all out to give only the best to their guests.

In lieu of the TX2 campaign, I'm currently sketching a Tiger on the very next page. Have never attempted to draw an animal on this detail before, but it looks more like a bear or lion I think.

I'll post it up when it's done.

So remember kids, there are only 500 tigers left in Malaysia and you should do your part to help out WWF's campagin TX2. The doubling of the tiger population in the next few years.

Do your part, make a difference.

Peace out & reinvent love.



Inception
The dream is real.
15.07.2010





No comments:

Post a Comment