Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Español.

I know it's been a week but it's the thought that counts, right? :)

Friday, 18 June 2010 - Right. So Joshua Lee, Ju Ann, my other half and I were supposed to be slicing grass out on a golf course, but we swerved away at the last minute.

Alternately, we decided badminton would prove appropriate for our separate golf experiences. Ju Ann was the only one with a handicap among us, and she would totally whup our asses.

We played doubles for most of our time at the courts.

Joshua would take point, and I'd cover him from the rear. A perfect team we were, trashing the girls right and left. The only problem was Joshua never really bent down, 'costing us a few shuttles. I was waiting for the chance to give an uppercut to his rear; but no such luck.

There was one time I sent a shuttle rocketing for the other side, only to be knocked back by the flip-end of Joshua's racket. Real smooth, I know.

The courts were shockingly huge. There were about 16 courts stretching out into the oven-like warehouse. That wasn't it; there were about 5 more futsal courts to the side.

At about 1:35PM when our court reservation ended, we decided to pop over to Leisure Mall for a good movie and lunch. See, the lot of us were only heading home at 6:00PM.

As the courts were at the foot of this cliff, we had to climb a hefty and winding flight of stairs to get back up. Ellya tried calling a cab company while Joshua and I sneaked our clothes on in one of the neighbouring courts.

They gave the incredibly annoying Pokémon-like music and left us sitting on the curb for about 10 minutes.

When they did pick up, they said, "No cab" and hung up right after.

It was about then, we decided to walk to Leisure Mall; or hail a cab somewhere in between. Walking to Leisure Mall was no leisurely task. It was quite daunting.

Taking several turns and running after three cabs, we eventually got one. Plus, being the hero that I am, I saved Joshua's bags from being owned by someone else twice.

My second time at Leisure Mall. It's no Pavilion, but you've got anything you need right here. Parts of the place were obviously renovated; Joshua confirmed this.

After deciding Subway would make a better meal than A&W, that's exactly where we went off to. Not entirely sure what the others had, but I had myself one 6inch Parmesan Oregano with Tuna and a whole lot of sauces.


"Mustard, Mayo, Ketchup, Barbecue Sauce, Oils. Mmmm."
"Eugh."
"What? I like my sauces."


It was about 2:45PM when we left Subway, and about 2:50PM when we stopped by the cinema.

We tried to decide on a movie, I mean with so many choices which would be able to please all of us and the time? We had to leave by 6:00PM, all of us, and we had to find something that would start showing about then.

In 10 minutes, Pixar's Toy Story 3 would light up a cinema hall and we chose to be in there 5 minutes before.

As usual before any film flares up the screens, we were to bear witness to number of commercials; be they for films or beer.

Most were for new animated films from both renowned and local digital studios, but there was one that really caught my attention.




The Legend of the Guardians: the Owls of Ga'Hoole. The trailer used 30 Seconds to Mar's single Kings and Queens to brilliant effect. It had this sort of epic feel to its presentation, and when I found out Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen) was directing, I just went "Of course." I also totally recognised Hugo Weaving's (Lord of the Rings, Matrix) voice in the beginning.

The Legend of the Guardians is based on the first three installments of the book series: The Capture, The Journey, and The Rescue.



Then Toy Story 3's short began.

Pixar's been long known as the "can't miss" studio of our era. Even their short before the main film was something of a breath of fresh air. Totally new, mixing CGI with classic animation it's just something you have to see in action.


"Awh. She's just like you, Joshua."
"I never really played with toys when I was little."
"What? I'm talking about the skirt."


As with everything Pixar does, the attention to detail here is incredible. The split-imagery within the daycare/Alcatraz is great. How the slide in the playground becomes a watchtower at night. How the bead mazes double as razor wire. How marker smudges become prison tats. The level of detail, in things like Woody's rounded-down hairline, is astounding. And yes, that's the voice of John Morris, now 23, playing Andy once again. Why get the same actor when only a few might notice? Because everything is everything here.

Three movies have now shown us that the story of a toy is, overall, a sad one. But not one without pride. And not one without joy.

About 45 minutes before the film ended, my mum started SMS-ing me that she was already arriving. When we left after the show ended, she was already on the way. She said wait outside under the bridge.

So we waited there and when we did see her, she couldn't stop. Therefore, Ellya and I had to run after her. Eventually though she slowed down at the corner and we hopped on.

Man, it was a long day.




No comments:

Post a Comment