Sunday, June 13, 2010

It Comes Down To This.

IGCSE is finally over, HAH! But this is getting ahead of myself.

Let me start from the beginning of yesterday, the last day of the IGCSE and undoubtedly the best of the 5 weeks. This post is a lengthy one, so I'll break it down into chapters.



Chapter 1: The Paper Itself
Woke up at 8:50AM, crawled out of the sheets at 9:10AM and hopped into the shower. Popped out, brushed my teeth, put some clothes on and chucked a whole assortment of things into my pack. Eventually left the house at 10:15AM and arrived on the doorsteps of school at 11:00AM.

Kevin, Muhaimin and Joshua were already in the canteen. Before I arrived Joshua had already gotten intimate with several unstapled past year papers scattered all over the metal slab. Min was already done with his exams and Kevo was chugging down a can of 100Plus.

I went over to my usual stalls and ordered a nasi lemak with 4 nuggets precisely; the works, all that good stuff. It was probably going to be my last of school food, the incredibly repetitive stuff I had everyday.

Kevin felt incredibly restless and began requesting we leave for the upper floors immediately. I simply continued to introduce my food to consumption, while Joshua to his papers being done.

Right about then, Puan Aimi and Puan Choo (our principals) walked in and sat on the table right beside ours. We had a interesting and fairly awkward talk.

Then after exchanging roughly a hundred words, we decided to stretch our legs; not before saying goodbye and thanks of course.

To the classrooms to grab Kevin's bags and a few distractions, then to the multipurpose hall for the examination.

It lasted 45 minutes, but the paper boasted 30 questions and an option of 4 answers each -- with only 1 being the real answer. It wasn't too nasty, and soon we were yelling out heads out into the air 4-stories up.'



Chapter 2: Celebration Reached
Leaving almost no time to waste, I slung my bag around my shoulders and trudged over to the N2 Block to return Shankar's calculator (the one I've been using for 5 weeks).

Kevin, Joshua and Muhaimin followed soon after but instead of a single objective, we decided to sneak into classrooms. Not like ninjas, but like thankful students to teachers who wish to say goodbye; and to rub it in we're done with the O-Levels.

Loads of smiles here and there as we hurried through the entire block wishing here and there.

Eventually we went to the field, stripped down to our underpants (in the showers) and came out with our sports attire. I opened my pack which was absolutely filled with 3 sets of clothes, a towel, a hand towel and some soap. Chucked my uniform in and plodded off into the field.

It was time for rugby. Until it rained and stopped, three times each.

While it rained, the four of us went into the canteen to just sit and chat. Instead we were split into three groups: Kevin and Muhaimin with a small group, Joshua with the largest and me with four Productioneers.

Joshua soon left for Ikmal house for a shower. Personally I think the big baby was tired of showering in school.

Soon everyone disbanded except us five. Then we were joined by the other missing Productioneers and we occupied about half the canteen; still wasn't everybody.

About then, I received five calls ordering me to grab my pack and run off for the guard house. It was time for food.



Chapter 3: Questing
As I ran up the slope with about 8kg weighing me down, no one was at the guard house except two securitymen. One was drumming on the table and singing an unfamiliar tune; he should perform for the assembly one day.

My hand burrowed deeper into my pockets for the phone and came to a stop just past the metal bars. Right outside, away from the view of the slope, was Lex, Muhaimin and Kevin ready for our long journey ahead.

We started off down the familiar road leading into Cempaka, but made a strange turn into the housing estate. Soon, we were walking right beside the Nature Reserves borders; or at least very close to it.

After maneuvering past several over-the-speedlimit cars and bikes, we made it to the Mamak joint. This one was the very wooden sheltered space just opposite the Mosque as you enter the only road into school.

Wouldn't you know it, Joshua beat us to it -- plus, he wasn't alone. Ikmal, Prasanth (the dark ninja of the night) and Elina were right there too.

What we had was all awesome. Tom Yam, some egg wrap and fried squid. I had three helpings. Kevin seemed to enjoy the drinks; he order 4 glasses of limejuice and teh tarik. We toasted, talk about new journeys and possible reunion -- all that good stuff.

We also decided that instead of bathing at school, we'd bathe at Ikmal's place which was actually on the way back. So away we went, except this time we had a couple residents from the area so we didn't walk as long as we thought.

Ikmal nearly had me believing he stayed in the 4 story house that towered the slope on the way to school; nearly.

When we reached his house, it was already 6:25PM. In the end I didn't shower, but I did repaint myself in deodorant and change into something less drenched in perspiration. We all got introduced to Ikmal's cat and kittens, and they are adorable little things.

We had to be in school by 7:00PM for the "7:30PM" show, so it was around then we decided to continue our march back to school.



Chapter 4: Heading Back to Where It Started
The skyline was of gentle pleasing curves. It had a nice shade of orange and purples too. Also on the horizon outside Ikmal's house was Kevin and Muhaimin, slowly going down the otherside of the hill. Now, they'd left their Macbook Pro's lying around in a bag somewhere in school and were incredibly eager to get back to them.

The air was warm and we had the occasional evening breeze welcoming our walk. This journey back to school was definitely much more satisfying.

When we at the junction leading up into school, we shared our first goodbye. Prasanth turned right into the path shrouded in green for home. The rest of us continued back up the road.

Soon we had made it to the front gates. "A picture would never be able to capture the words Cempaka International School," said Elina, "there's just too much for it." I wouldn't have had it any other way.



Chapter 5: End Zone
We passed under unnamed but familiar trees and soon found ourselves under the roof of the North Hall. I went to check out the booths surrounding the hall, and not soon later went over to the bathrooms to check on the guys.

They just changed and we went to the bleachers to sit down. A young, blonde and unrecognisable gal sat right next to us. Soon we were engaged in conversation.

Her name was Anushka and she was a friend of Kevin's (oh, that's why she was waiting at the bleachers.

It was a long time spent outside the North Hall that night and in total I had met:
Harris Tan
Natalie Wong
Erika Hana Putri
Andrew Ng
Kimberley Tan
Wong Shi Jinn
Nadia
Nicole Oon
KayLyn Chandran
Deborah Chew
Kevin Saw
Emma Shum
Stephanie Leong
Luqman
Hannan
Michelle Wing

A great way to end the day, but it didn't end there. I also got to meet Ng Li Shing and Ng Shu Wain, my two buds from way back in the day from Sri Kuala Lumpur.

Like a Season Finale, my experience in Cempaka ended exactly how it began in 2006; or in this case the first episode of Season 1, if you will.

Back in 2006, before I enrolled in Cempaka Schools the following year, I came to Cempaka for its version of the musical We Will Rock You. Right after, my sister (who was already in) took me over to the mural. My first day within the avenue.

It's 4 years later, I'm standing once again in the very same spot I stood on, but this time with Li Shing and Shu Wain showing them my school's mural.




No comments:

Post a Comment